Airways Key Events/Projects
At the end of a four year cadetship with the Civil Aviation Division of the Ministry of Transport (later to become Airways Corporation of NZ in 1987) Kevin joined the Auckland Regional Maintenance team. Duties included maintenance and fault restoration of communication and air navigation facilies from Kaitia to Hamilton.
On completion of the required specialist equipment courses, Kevin joined the Auckland International Airport Maintenance shift roster providing H24/7 coverage for the communications, navigation and radar facilities on the airport. With the introduction of the computerised AFTN (Aeronautical Fixed Telecommunications Network) Kevin transferred to the AFTN shift roster providing H16/7 coverage + standby call out for faults out of hours.
Kevin went on to take up managerial roles and has been responsible for the suprevision of up to 12 direct reports (shift and day workers), revenue budgets up to $920K, and capital budgets up to $2M as and when required.
|EEC Tonga and Vanuatu Defect Study
- Kevin was Part of a two-man defect study team contracted by the Forum Secretariat to investigate and report on problems resulting from an EEC funded equipment supply project in Tonga and Vanuatu.
- Kevin went on to recommend and provide quotations for reemedial work and then project managed the completion of the remedial work.
|EEC Lupepau'u Airport Tender Evaluation
- Kevin Coordinated the evaluation of Tender responses for an EEC aid funded Lupepau'u Airport, Vava'u Airport Equipment Supply project on behalf of the Ministry of Civil Aviation, Kingdom of Tonga.
- Kevin was responsible for evaluating some lots and compiling the overall tender recommendation.
- Kevin was involved in HF Transmitter installation and commissioning - 5 x Aerocom 1330 5kW and 6 x JRC T501K 5kW transmitters and associated HF antenna at Auckland International Airport.
- Voice Switches - Kevin was involved with the factory acceptance testing, installation and site acceptance of 36 operator position SITTI Multiphono M112 voice switch for Auckland Airport. Installation and commisioning of Garex 210 voice switch at Auckland Airport.
- Kevin developed and took a training course on SITTI Voice Switch for Department of Civil Aviation Vanuatu Technical Staff.
- Kevin was the Project Manager for several sub projects associated with the upgrade of radar sensor, radar data processing, and communication network facilities throughout New Zealand
- Kevin was the Project Manager Vanuatu Remedial Works Contract resulting from 1993 Defect Study for Forum Secretariat. Included detailing and quoting on work to be completed and ensuring the work was completed on time & to budget.
- Kevin Project Managed the disestablishment and relocation of the Auckland Radar Contol Centre consoles to Christchurch Centre and the rerouting of VHF and radar sensors from Auckland to Christchurch Control Centre.